Only use 100% Apple Juice, any brand, with no added sugar.
Before beginning this recipe, read thoroughly, and keep the The Basic Steps of Making Wine from Juice or Berries near you, as it will give you detailed instructions on all the recipe steps below.
Ingredients – 6L (5 gallon in brackets)
6L of Apple Juice (5 Gallons/18.9L)
3.5 cups of sugar (12 cups)
1/2 tbsp. Yeast Nutrient (2)
1/4 tsp. Pectic Enzyme (1/2)
1 tsp Acid Blend (2.5)
1/2 tsp. Wine Tannin (1.5)
1 Packet of Wine Yeast (1)
1 Campden Tablets (5)
1. Start with a 2 gallon or 5 gallon primary fermenter depending on the batch size you have chosen.
2. Heat up 1/3 of the apple juice and dissolve all sugar. (to speed things up put a couple containers of apple juice in the fridge the day before
3. Add apple juice with sugar to primary fermenter, and fill to the 2 gallon or 5 gallon mark, which will be 1 inch below the rim of your fermenter.
4. When the temperature is below 80 F, add Yeast Nutrient, Acid Blend, Tannin, and optional crushed campton tablet and stir well.
5. Cover loosely with lid for 12 hours, then add Peptic Enzine and stir.
6. After 12 – 24 hours, check specific gravity measurement if you are using a hydrometer. You are looking for 1.080 – 1.09 to achieve 12.5% alcohol, then sprinkle one full packet of wine yeast on top, and cover loosely with lid, with airlock attached, and water in airlock
7. After 12 – 24 hours, peek under lid and when you see strong fermentation happening (lots of foam), snap lid down.
8. Airlock will be actively bubbling for a few days.
9. After 5 – 7 days airlock will only be bubbling once every few minutes, so it is time to rack the wine into a secondary fermenter, with a 6 liter water bottle, or the big 5 gallon water jugs. Do not transfer over any sediment. If the water bottle or jug is not filled the start of the neck, add some water. NEVER top up with apple juice as the sugar in it could restart your fermentation, and will add sweetness to your wine.
10. Leave sit for 2 weeks untouched in a cool dark (no sunlight) place.
11. After this 2 weeks, rack wine again, into a clean sanitized jug of the same size, and degas every 6 hours for a day. (Degas by vigorously stirring with the other end of your big spoon for 2 minutes each time to remove the CO2. Always recover with airlock.)
12. Add clarifying solution, and let sit for 1 week.
13. Rack wine one more time, leaving behind any sediment, and taste to see if you need anymore acid or tannin. Then bottle into sanitized bottles, cap or cork.